It’s hard to believe that our India 1 group recently returned from their Journey to India, and our India 2 group begins their long journey home in just a few short hours. What an amazing journey we all had! From the beautiful palaces in Rajasthan, to one of the world’s most loved landmark, the Taj Mahal ….to the Kama Sutra temples of Khajuraho to some of us spotting a tiger in Rathambore….from seeing cows in the street, dancing at a wedding procession, and our visit to Varanasi and the River Ganges, where the heart of India beats and where it all came together for us…the cities we visited, the culture we embraced, the history we learned will not soon be forgotten. Our two groups of travelers experienced so much in just two short weeks.
Our Top Ten list of things we learned while in India:
10. Any country with 1.2 billion people can have its own way of doing things. Some things we’ll never understand, and that’s OK
9. Traffic in India is crazy! The lines on the roads in India are merely for decoration, and the “rules of the road” are simply suggestions. Honking one’s horn as one moves through traffic is expected.
8. Organized chaos is a way of life. To the outsider it may look wild, but that’s just how it is.
7. We’ll miss livestock wandering through city streets.
6. There is a lot of curry used in Indian cooking.
5. Sunrise is a beautiful time of the day. Things look so much clearer at sunrise. The world is at peace.
4. A wedding celebration lasts 5 – 7 days and includes a parade. Being one that loves a great party, I think this is a fantastic way to celebrate wedded bliss.
3. The Taj Mahal is everything it’s cracked up to be. One cannot appreciate its beauty in a photo. You have to see it to believe it.
2. Strong family ties and traditions that are centuries old make for a people who have a value system that is unwavering.